“What are fears but voices airy?
Whispering harm where harm is not.
And deluding the unwary
Till the fatal bolt is shot!”
I’ve spent a considerable amount of time and energy in my life being afraid.
- Afraid that I wouldn’t pass a test or exam at school.
- Afraid that I wouldn’t make this team or that.
- Afraid that I wouldn’t get this job or that.
- Afraid that if I’d take or didn’t take a certain action it would bring undesirable and unwanted circumstances.
- Afraid someone wouldn’t or would like me.
- Afraid someone wouldn’t or would love me.
Well you get the picture and at some level you might even be able to empathize.
On a good day I’d peel back the layered onion causing me to shed tears of fear and look at what was going on underneath. Ultimately I found the tears being shed came from hanging onto the penultimate fear of death. This fear might be of physically dying or more often than not it was about the death of whom or what I thought I was or wanted or needed to be.
My fear-based anguish was almost always about not getting or losing something I thought I needed to make my life whole and complete.
Now, in moments of absolute clarity, I realize that I drown my creative potential while riding on a wave of self-induced fear.
Now, on a good day I:
- Remind myself that all of us are already whole and complete.
- Realize that no external affirmation is needed, or ever could, lead us back to truly remembering the innate brilliance of who we are.
- Know that we can never lose anything that is truly ours.
- Understand that the source of joy doesn’t lie without but within.
Others have talked about, and I’ve often shared, an acronym for F.E.A.R. as being FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL.
However now, in moments of clarity, I much prefer the acronym offered by Neale Donald Walsh, which is FEELING EXCITED AND READY.
From this view I am:
- Ready to explore the possibility of learning the fear is offering up to me.
- Excited about creating from knowing the endless potential of life that flows through me.
This creative potential is innately who we are, including you.
“Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing”. Anonymous
Be inspired by life’s potential flowing through you, not hampered by doubt and fear. You’re already perfectly complete. You need nothing else. When you realize you need nothing else then fear takes a back seat while you steer your life in the direction you want it to go.
Your job is to recognize and realize your brilliant wholeness in the world.
2011 is a great time to start.